Monday, October 22, 2012

Will Grayson Will Grayson Revised

When I first wrote this blog I wasn't too far into the book Will Grayson Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. I was at a part of the book where everything was happening and you didnt know what would come next so I had a lot of questions. The two main characters, both named Will Grayson have completely different lives. I thought that both Wills would meet each other and what I thought was true. They both went to the same place for different reasons and met there. The first Will Grayson, Grayson went there to wait for his friends who were at a concert while the other Will Grayson, Will went there to meet some guy from the internet who turned out not to be real. 
Grayson has his own group of friends, the gay-straight alliance kids. From what I’ve read it consists of Tiny, his gay friend, Jane, his straight friend, and Gary, his other gay friend. He has a few other friends from the gay-straight alliance group but they’re not as close. He also isnt that close with his mom because she’s a doctor so she’s always busy. But besides that, he doesn’t tell her anything about his life. He and his friends are really close but he doesn't even tell them about his life.   
 Will has only a few friends, Maura, Derek, and Simon. He isn’t even that close to them, he’s more of a loner. He is also friends with a guy named Isaac who he met online. Will thinks that he is in love with Isaac, and Isaac feels the same. I can already tell that Will feels like Isaac is the only one who understands him. He and his mom don’t seem to have a good relationship just like the other Will Grayson and his mom. He doesn't think his mom understands him either. Will and his mom have conversations that consist of “Have some breakfast, and where are you going?” which include about one word answers. He doesn’t have a good relationship with his other friends either. I can tell because he won’t give them his Gmail address even though he gave his to Isaac. This showed me that he doesn’t want to talk to them; however, he wants to talk to Isaac. Later in the book you find out Isaac is Will's friend Maura pretending to be a guy named Isaac so that Will would talk to her more often. 
Will and Grayson both live in two very different circles with different friends and different problems. In my opinion they don’t have the best lives. I guessed that they would meet and that it would make their lives somehow better. I guessed that they would meet because they are the two main characters of the book who need a resolution. Also if they met, they would have so much to talk about because they have so much in common. They both feel misunderstood, they both have secrets, and they both don’t have many people to turn to.
From what I’ve read, I really like the book. I can connect to both characters in many ways. I can connect to Grayson because sometimes I’m embarrassed by my friends. Also I’m friends with some people that I’m not “close” with but we spend a lot of time together. I can connect to Will because sometimes I like being by myself, some people might call me a loner. Also I have those times when I only want to talk to this one person because only that person gets me. I really like this book because there are two authors writing about the two main characters so you get different writing styles to go with different characters. This gives the reader a better point of view of the two main characters.   

No comments:

Post a Comment